PLEASE VISIT OUR SPONSORS
earning your business everyday
New & used vehicles with a full line service & parts dept. Call 765-932-2447 or 866-576-7874 or visit us on the web for more info.
open 7 days! dine-in or carry-out
PIT STOP PIZZA & PUB
Open for breakfast at 6 a.m., Mon-Sat. Steak special Fri-Sat. Daily homemade meal specials. 711 N. Main Street in Carthage. 765-565-6078
body repair experts
KNIGHTSTOWN COLLISION CENTER
Call 765-345-5380 for info/quote or visit us at 221 W. Main Street
Please refer to our News Archives for more news links or hit your "back" button to go to your previous page.
INDOT Encourages Participants in This Year’s Trash Bash Event
April 18, 2007 - Spring is in the air in the Hoosier state, and melting snow is revealing a winter’s worth of trash along Indiana highways. That’s why this weekend, the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT) and Adopt-A-Highway groups across the state will kick off a major effort to clean up Indiana’s highways during Trash Bash 2007. This year’s Trash Bash will run from April 7 to April 23.
For a decade, INDOT crews and Adopt-A-Highway volunteers have joined forces to spring clean every mile of interstate during Trash Bash. Each year, more than 340 tons of trash is collected – sprucing up highways in time for nice weather. In 2006, INDOT workers, INDOT coordinated Department of Correction crews and 238 Adopt-A-Highway groups collected more than 62,868 bags of trash from 3,596 miles of state highways and rights-of-way – making it the most successful Trash Bash ever. With the help of employees and volunteers, this year’s Trash Bash will be even more successful.
Several local Adopt-A-Highway groups will be cleaning their adopted stretches of highway throughout Trash Bash. Here are a few examples of local Trash Bash events:
• The U.S.S. Endeavor Group will clean State Road 9 from Madison County Road 800 North to Madison County Road 600 North on Saturday, April 14. The group will meet at the Highway Café located at the intersection of State Road 9 and Madison Co Road 900 North at 1:00 p.m. on April 14.
• Eta Sigma Gamma Fraternity will clean State Road 332 from Interstate 69 to Delaware County Road 700 West on Sunday, April 15. The group will meet at the Cooper Science Building parking lot on the campus of Ball State University at about 2 p.m. on April 15.
• The Charlottesville Lions Club will clean U.S. 40 from the Hancock / Henry County Line to two miles west of the county line on Saturday, April 21. The group will meet at the Charlottesville Lions Club at 8:00 a.m. on April 21.
During Trash Bash 2007, INDOT is encouraging Hoosiers to help clean up and prevent litter on Indiana’s highways by following these tips:
• Don’t litter: Set a good example for everyone, especially children.
• Be responsible: Carry a litter bag in your car instead of tossing trash out the window.
• Put a lid on it: Make sure trash can lids are securely fastened. If you have curbside trash collection, don’t put loose trash in boxes or untied bags.
• Tie it up: Tie papers in bundles before placing them in a curbside recycling bin.
• Check on it: If you own a business, check dumpsters daily to ensure doors are closed.
• Report it: Report areas where people have illegally dumped garbage to your local transportation, public works or conservation office.
• Adopt it: If you or a member of your family is involved in a civic group, scouting organization or recreational sports program, encourage the group to adopt a highway. Call (317) 232-5509 for details.
Copyright © 2007 - Knightstown Banner, LLC - The Banner, PO Box 116, Knightstown, IN 46148 (765) 345-2292